S23 Wiki Tips
The s23 wiki tip page
(A) = Admins (E) = Everybody
Wiki Formating Tips
- (E) This is very useful, you dont have to use the long syntax like [[User:Mutante|Mutante]] to display your username everytime you sign a comment, (found here) you can simply sign with tildes (when logged in):
Wiki Organization Tips
- (A) To avoid Double Redirect pages, in other words: if you are going to rename(aka "#REDIRECT" []) a specific page make sure there are no other pages - that are redirects themselves - to be linked to yet another redirect. Make sense? To avoid this you:
- Click on the "What links here" link (for some themes you will find it in your 'toolbox') this will tell you if there are pages linked to it. Check those pages out to see if they are Redirects themselves. If they ARE then just edit them to reflect the new page name. If they ARE NOT redirects, then leave them alone since when they will be clicked on the wiki will automagically redirect them to the correct page. Then proceed accordingly.
For example: Say we have 4 pages: Nads, TeSties, Webos, and Testicles. Nads and TeSties are redirects to 'Webos'. You decide this is not appropriate, maybe because latin is the 'cleanest' language in the world, so you redirect 'Webos' to 'Testicles'. You broke 'Nads' and 'TeSties'. Fix them by accessing them and redirecting directly to 'Testicles'.
//s23.org/wiki/Category:foobar --> edit: add Category:foo --> foobar is a Subcategory of foo
Effective Internal Link Anchoring
- Noticed that to effectively make an Internal wiki anchor hyperlink, in other words link into a wiki page at a certain designated point in the page itself, you need to underscore_each_word_in_the_anchor for example: To create an anchor link into our s23 Current_events page an in it is the following monster internal link called: "2005-10-22 CSS fixes, new way to edit sidebar, installed Spam extension", you need to add [[Current_events#2005-10-22_CSS_fixes,_new_way_to_edit_sidebar,_installed_Spam extension]] into the page which you want to link from. Of course you can hide that with: "10-22 Updates" but if you try without the underscores it will not work.
- Edit: Sonofabitch!! both links work..i wrote that for no %$^@^% reason!! -Kunda
There are 2 ways to anchor a link into wiki markup
- Headers ==Text here== become automatic anchors, link to them this way Wikipedia:Meta:Help:Anchors#Referencing anchors
- Wikipedia:Meta:Help:Anchors#Setting anchors <div id="what_to_link_to">text</div>
Edit the Sidebar Frame
- You can edit the side bar via the static link in the 'Specials' box called 'Edit sidebar' or directly from Mediawiki:Sidebar. Look at the syntax there. For example say you wanted to create a link to the page Fnord, so you go into Mediawiki:Sidebar and add something like fnord-url|fnord in there. Then you would:
- put the content or text label that you want to appear on the sidebar into Mediawiki:Fnord. So we can put Fnord in there.
- and put the link to the Fnord page in Mediawiki:Fnord-url, by typing Fnord (notice no special wiki markup needed).