The word agnostic comes from the Greek a (without) and gnosis (knowledge).
- Someone who claims that they do not know or are unable to know whether God exists.
- A word first used by Professor Huxley, to indicate one who believes nothing which cannot be demonstrated by the senses.
- one who believes that the evidence for and against the existence of God is inconclusive. (agnosticism)
- One who holds the theory that God is unknown or unknowable
- one who neither believes nor disbelieves in God; one who believes that there is not enough evidence either way. "I don't know if there is a god."
also see: Gnostic